Thursday 11 September 2008

Inspired by various blogs and forums, I have decided to start my own social work blog.
I am currently in my final year of a masters degree in social work. If all goes to plan I will qualify next summer.
I also work part-time as a support worker with people with learning disabilities and do voluntary work, both of which will be discussed here at some point I imagine.

At the moment I am 9 days into an 85 day placement in a day centre. It is at the awkward stage where you are inbetween being the new girl and being an accepted part of the team. Not that they aren't accepting, the staff are all good, I've felt welcome from day one. But there is still so much I don't know, yet soon I will start to get strange looks for asking fairly simple questions (which I do have a habit of doing - sometimes to fill a gap in conversation, sometimes because I genuinely am that stupid) because they wonder why I'm not an expert on the place by now!

I have my first proper supervision session with the manager tomorrow which I'm hoping will go well. I seem to be getting on okay with her, but I've found in that past that you think you're getting on with someone, only to find they think the exact opposite, which especially isn't good in a university placement when you would actually like to pass your course.

There is a lot I'd like to say for my first entry, but I'd better stop before I get too far into anything. I'm still catching up on my sleep from when Andy Murray played Federer the other night and I stayed up listening to it (I still can't believe nobody showed it apart from Sky, which nobody I know even has!). I've spent today doing first aid training for my job, so I can now give CPR to a dummy, should the need ever arise.

No comments: