Friday 26 September 2008

I work in supported living. The organisation has four homes in the city, I do bank shifts so work at all of them (well, three of them, the other one hasn't offered me any shifts I've been able to do). I've worked for them since May, before I went on placement I was doing 3/4 shifts a week - they were very short staffed and I needed the money.
As bank staff I expect to be at the bottom of the pile, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated. I like the job, I like the tenants. It's the staff I can't deal with.
One staff member, I won't even work with anymore. I've had enough of the way she speaks to me, of her attitude. The second she walks into a shift she'll start snapping at me, more than once I've left work upset because of something she's said either to me or about me when she knows I can hear. Her best mate also works there. A couple of weeks ago I was three minutes late, and at three minutes before my shift was due to start I got an arsey voicemail demanding to know where the hell I was because I was supposed to be on shift right now. When I arrived she didn't even acknowledge me and walked straight past me like I was invisible.
So. I don't know if it's because I'm bank staff, or because they just don't like me, but as far as the organisation is concerned, I feel like something they've stepped in on the pavement that has come out of the back end of a dog.
I had two shifts booked in for next week, shifts that they asked me to do weeks ago, and got a call this morning to say that they were cancelling them because a new member of staff has started. Now, I understand that the point of bank staff is to fill in when 'proper' staff can't cover shifts, but when they asked me weeks in advance to work and I have arranged other things around those shifts, I've refused shifts at other places, I was counting on the money, I expect the respect that I give them. Unless I was on my deathbed I wouldn't cancel with a couple of days
notice, and I would very much appreciate it if they didn't do the same thing.
With my university placement I can only do bank shifts - I had interviews for a few jobs which were two days a week, but didn't get them. I thought about agency work, which pays more, but decided that I'd rather work for one organisation and get to know the people I'm working with, rather than potentially never going to the same place twice.
As I said above, I like the job - most of the time anyway. I'm just sick of feeling like I'm not important just because I'm bank staff - I am still a colleague and should be treated as such.
I just needed a rant I think. It's not the first time they've done that, and they're constantly messing with my shifts. I have to get the rota and my diary out every time I go in because they're always taking me off shifts and then sometimes putting me back on them without letting me know. It's a shame really because I don't want to be doing a job just because of the money (although to be honest, the reason I am doing this job is to give me some extra money while I'm finishing my course) but I don't want to be hating my job and constantly thinking about the money - when I worked in Vision Express (only for a few weeks, but that was too long) I basically spent the whole time watching the clock and working out how much I'd just earned. This job isn't like that, and I'm trying hard not to let it become like that. I've looked at other bank jobs, but ths is the first paid job I've had in four years and part of me feels like I should be grateful that they employed me. Obviously, I am, but I'm getting more and more frustrated. Maybe I should look for another bank job and do as many shifts as I can for them, then I wouldn't be relying on one place.

No comments: